- Use your planning and resource management expertise to ensure a positive Council legacy in our community
- Be self-directed within the context of a supportive and collaborative team
- Think outside the square!
As our Policy Planner, you'll be part of a team that is reviewing our District Plan for the benefit the Manawatu Community. You'll have a key part to play in giving effect to Council's vision for the Manawatu District. We're a medium-sized Council with big heart, and we're ambitious for our community.
You'll need to bring with you:
- At least 3 years directly relevant post-qualification experience in a planning or policy development role
- Knowledge and demonstrable skill and experience with policy and plan development processes under the Resource Management Act 1991 and the Local Government Act 2002
- Effective report writing and verbal presentation skills including the ability to prepare evidence and present at hearings
- An understanding of how strategy assists decision-making and helps focus and prioritise activities
- A familiarity with local government planning and decision making processes including community engagement
- Excellent communication skills - the ability to translate "planner speak" into everyday language for people both in the organisation and the community.
- A practical approach and a sense of humour
Here at MDC, we're committed to doing right by our community. Our governance team (our Mayor and Councillors) are astute, dedicated and enthusiastic, and we work collaboratively in the best interests of the Manawatu. At MDC, you'll find supportive colleagues, flexibility, professional development opportunities, a genuinely family-friendly work environment, and a culture where our Chief Executive is equally at home chatting to people in the cafeteria over lunch as he is leading the formal meetings and driving the strategic direction.
This is definitely a growth role. We are keen to hear from Planners who are ambitious to learn, develop their skills and follow a pathway to Senior Practitioner.
To find out more, call Brent Limmer (General Manager - Community and Strategy) or Matthew Mckay (Senior Policy Planner) on 06 323 0000, or visit our website.